Welcome to the website for The Plotkin Research Group
We do research at the interface of biology and physics.
Our current projects involve the molecular-genetic study of the evolution of multicellularity, protein misfolding in neurodegenerative disease, and more recently, viral evolution and molecular therapeutics to SARS-CoV-2. Please see our Research Page for more details.
Plotkin Lab News:
Our team welcomes two new researchers:
- Santanu Sasidharan, Post Doctoral Fellow, Evolution of the SARS-CoV-2 Virus
- Kai Xiao, PhD Student, Evolution of the SARS-CoV-2 Virus
Recently Awarded Grants:
- Digital Technology SuperCluster funding for SARS-CoV-2 research at Plotkin Lab ($511K)
- Genome BC sequencing funding for SARS-CoV-2 research at Plotkin Lab ($195K)
- Gibbs E, Zhao B, Roman A, Plotkin SS, Peng X, Hsueh S, Aina A, Wang A, Shyu C, Yip CK, Nam S, Kaplan JM, Cashman NR “Rational Generation of Monoclonal Antibodies Selective for Pathogenic Forms of Alpha-Synuclein” Biomedicines, 10, 2168 (2022)
- Hsueh SS, Aina A, Roman AY, Cashman, NR, Peng X, Plotkin SS “Optimizing Epitope Conformational Ensembles Using α-Synuclein Cyclic Peptide “Glycindel” Scaffolds: A Customized Immunogen Method for Generating Oligomer-Selective Antibodies for Parkinson’s Disease” ACS Chem. Neurosci., 13, 2261−2280 (2022) Cover article
- Garg P, Semmler S, Baudouin C, Vande Velde C, Plotkin SS “Misfolding-Associated Exposure of Natively Buried Residues in Mutant SOD1 Facilitates Binding to TRAF6” J. Mol. Bio., Vol 434, Issue 6 (2022)
- Hsueh S, Nijlad M, Peng X, Hilton B, Plotkin SS, “First Principles Calculation of Protein-Protein Dimer Affinities of ALS-Associated SOD1 Mutants” Front. Mol. Biosci. 9:845013. (2022)
- McAlary L, Shephard, VK, Sher M, Rice LJ, Yerbury JJ, Cashman NR, Plotkin SS “Assessment of protein inclusions in cultured cells using automated image analysis” STAR Protocols (in press)
- Hsueh S, Aina A, Plotkin SS, “Accelerated ensemble generation for cyclic peptides using a Reservoir-REMD implementation in GROMACS” (submitted)
- Pokrishevsky E, DuVal MG, McAlary L, Louadi S, Pozzi S, Roman A, Plotkin SS, Dijkstra A, Julien JP, Allison WT, Cashman NR “Tryptophan Residues in TDP-43 and SOD1 Mediate the Cross-seeding and Toxicity of SOD1” (under revision)
- DuVal MG, McAlary L, Habibi M, Garg P, Sher M, Cashman NR, Allison WT and Plotkin SS “Physical Properties of Novel Aggressive and Beneficial SOD1 Mutants Predict Phenotypes Consistent with ALS” (submitted, bioRxiv)
Recent Recorded Presentations:
We are grateful to the Digital Technology Supercluster, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Genome BC, Mitacs, and Westgrid/Compute Canada for supporting our research.